Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Salad Dressing


So at my friend Kenny's house this weekend, I helped him cook. I volunteered to do the bitch work such as chopping vegetables and stuff. I also cooked the chicken and mushrooms he put in his pasta. It was an amazing homemade tomato sauce with fresh veggies and whole grain pasta. The salad was a simple spinach salad with some arugula. He asked me to make a dressing and I looked in his cabinet and all he had was some basalmic vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, and rice vinegar. No problem! I would now like to teach you all how to make a delicious homemade dressing so you will never buy dressing in a bottle (unless of course you want some ranch to dip your frozen chicken nuggets).

  1. All Salad Dressings are Vinegar based. Start by adding some vinegar to the bowl. You may use any vinegar of your choosing, be bold, fun, and creative! For Kenny's house, I used rice vinegar.
  2. Next add your flavorings: These can be herbs, sugars, salts, mustard, ketchup, spices...again be bold, fun, and brave. If you fuck it up, dump it out and try again! For Kenny's house, I used some sugar, some toasted sesame seeds, and some sesame oil.
  3. Now whisk and add your salad oil. Olive oil is great for a lot of flavor, but no shame in using vegetable oil either. Whisk the oil in slowly until you have a consistency favorable to your tasting.
  4. Now taste. Notice if its too not salty enough, not sweet enough, to bitter, to sour. If its too sour, you need more of everything but vinegar. If its too sweet or salty, add more vinegar and oil. Too oily? Add vinegar.

1 comment: