Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Complaint

I promised I wouldn't complain on this blog, but I need to break that promise right now:

Children! Please learn instruments that can be played in band or orchestra! C'mon now...Piano is not a band instrument and you have to be brilliant at it if you want to play in orchestra. If I took every pianist that asked to be in band, I would have a pretty epic piano section. It would be the largest section in band.

Guitar as well...I'm so sick of kids trying to play guitar in band. I only take one in jazz band (I also take one pianist) But you better be brilliant. My guitarist right now is good enough for jazz band, albeit he is a pain in the ass. But he can voice 7th and 9th chords high up on the neck so it can sound good. He can also solo, kinda.

I'm sure many of you musicians are saying I could create a class for guitars and pianists, but that would require me arranging alot of music. And that is just not going to work because I'm teaching five other music classes. Why can't you learn to play the fuckin' tuba? Saxophone is an easy and sexy instrument that you won't get alot of laughs playing. Learn to read music too! Damn guitarists, none of them can read music. Pianists...learn to count. It seems like none of you have any sense of rhythm. If any of you were good, I could have you accompany my choirs.

2 comments:

  1. haha..wow! easy on the pianists buddy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... then I wouldnt hafta sit in and attempt to play 3rd trumpet for you! Although its fun cause of all the mistakes I make you blame them on the kids!

    ReplyDelete