Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Chosen

You must all go see this play The Chosen. Its based off the novel by Chaim Potok about two Jews growing up together as best friends in Brooklyn. It played on themes of brotherhood, ethnic tensions, and everyone's favorite "having beef with your Dad." Very emotional scenes and good arguments for and against Zionism.

Speaking of "beef", I had an interesting incident with a student today. A kid was texting in class and I wanted to take his phone away. He argued with me, tried to make a deal, all sorts of shit to try to get out of me taking his phone away. Honestly I don't really care...I just don't want people texting while I am teaching them. Furthermore, there is a school policy to take phones away from kids even if they are out. Now its ultimatly my decision whether to enforce this. If the kid gives me his phone right away, I usually forget about the whole thing and he can pretty much just take it after class. But when the kid is argues with me, resists me, and is being outright defiant, what would you do? I just become an asshole about it and give the phone to the office. From an administrator prospective, I should always give the phone to the office. From a kid's prospective, I should let them do whatever they want in class. I think of myself as a compromise between the two. Its very simple, you break the rules, I enforce them.

No comments:

Post a Comment