Tuesday, December 15, 2009

An Epiphany about my job

I figured out exactly what I love and hate about my job and it boils down to one thing...THE MUSIC!

Take for instance the case of the Illyrian Dances, I love the piece and find it interesting. It is a challenge to conduct and teach. Had all the students in band been of the ability to eventually perform this, I would have been happy about it. But when somebody gets in the way of my music making such as one section who never practiced and never learned their part, the frustration comes.

I'm currently working with the Chamber Choir on Ove Lass by Lauridsen. This amazing piece is extremely difficult. What I love about it is that it is challenging for me to learn to conduct and teach it. I get to make alot of artistic decisions about the piece and the technical aspects are difficult forcing the choir to really step up. With only one rehearsal on it, I feel confident they can learn it.

Last year I worked for months on David Diamond's Rounds for orchestra. It was very difficult and the kids didn't like it for the longest time. But I was diligent and the more and more I studied and conducted it, the better they got and the more they liked it. By May we had a great performance of it at the CMEA festival. I don't think we nailed it, but we came close. Its that kind of work that really made me love that class that year.

These pieces force me to study, do good rehearsals, and conduct well. This is what I love about music. If I could do this with every class with every piece every day, my life would be ecstasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment