Friday, June 4, 2010

The Letters

My friend Kenny asked me to help him with a sociology assignment on Tuesday. I was interviewed about technology and how it has made humans become more and less connected. My conclusion to this is that it has done neither. With AIM, Skype, Facebook, blogs, and email, we can be connected with anybody in the world at any time and exchange real information. We can see and hear these people as well.

What we have lost is the simple letter. A handwritten letter is a very expressive thing. It has been replaced by email and text messaging. In that trade off we have lost the inconvienience of buying stamps, looking up addresses, waiting for correspondence, and penmanship altogether. This summer I am bringing back the letter. This will force me to have good penmanship and to be expressive in a handwritten form.

My grandfather used to receive handwritten correspondence from his brother in Texas. These were great because it made my grandfather happy. In return, he would write back. His handwriting is so goddamn good, too! So if you want a letter from me, just send me your address and I will get to writing.

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment