Monday, March 22, 2010

Hollandaise sauce and excuses to eat it and mayonnaise

Hollandaise sauce is one of the most fattening sauces ever to be created. But it is so damn good! You take two egg yolks, whip them up and slowly drizzle in one stick of melted butter while mixing it in a double boiler. The trick is to make sure you warm up the eggs slowly without making scrambled eggs. You must take the bowl you are mixing it in on and off the water. I find that when using my metal bowl, if I can't hold it with my bare hands while mixing it, its too hot. Its possible that I don't cook the eggs long enough for our FDA standards, but that's why I make it myself. Never use a powder recipe!

I love asparagus, its a great and healthy excuse to eat hollandaise sauce or even mayonnaise. California is so cool because of its seasonal vegetables all year long. End of winter and beggining of spring is great for asparagus and artichokes. Artichokes are also a good excuse to eat mayonnaise. I like making a yogurt, mayonnaise, and dill dressing to dip my steamed artichokes. You can eat them hot or throw the leftovers in your lunch and have it cold. The best protein to have with these two delicious vegetables is Fish.

I recently planted some herbs: Thyme and Basil. Hopefully by the end of summer I will have enough Basil to make some pesto or maybe some caprese salads. I really should learn how to make cheese. Problem with cheese making in America is that the milk we get has been pasteurized way too much killing some of the key enzymes in cheese making.

Hopefully Mr. Woo will give me some more chantarelles. These are the tastiest mushrooms I have ever had. A mushrooms risotto with these would be quite tasty. Oranges are really sweet in California right now. Its the end of the naval orange season and all the ones left on the tree are filled with sugar making them some of the most delectable fruits in the world. I'm going to steal some from my dad and make some orange juice. Maybe even some mimosas or screwdrivers. A good screwdriver starts with great orange juice. No point in having one if it doesn't taste good.

No comments:

Post a Comment