Monday, May 17, 2010

Damn kids

So I took the orchestra kids to CMEA on Saturday. One of my viola players decided to use his own viola instead of the school's viola that he uses everyday. Not using a viola for a year has some problems cause it goes out of tune quickly. This is bad for any player, let alone one that can't tune his own instrument. He had the nerve to ask me before the concert if I would take him to boiling crab if they got a unanimous superior rating (meaning all judges including sightreading give us a 90 or above). Knowing that my viola section was going to be out of tune and the basses can't sightread to save their lives, I took that bet.

As predicted, there were several instances during the performance that assured me that this was not a superior performance. Furthermore during the sightreading, the cello section fucked up the rhythm I worked with them on. The basses also got lost 3 quarters into the piece.

Final Tally: 94, 93, 91 for the performance and a 90 for sightreading...GODDAMIT. I had boiling crab today for dinner. Not to mention I shaved all my body hair except for my head and eyebrows (another wager I made earlier in the week). Looking at the score sheet, I agreed with their assessment, although I don't agree that it was an "exceptional" performance. We would have gotten a 92 on sightreading if it weren't for one of my cellist chewing gum.

No comments:

Post a Comment