Monday, August 23, 2010

In defense of food

I just finished reading this book. It's incredible! It is really everything I believe in about food. I just hate it when people say I eat too much butter and too many eggs. Fuck You! You drink too much high fructose corn syrup and eat partially hydrogenated soybean oils. Go buy some corn and make some high fructose corn syrup and add that to your fuckin coffee in the morning.

If I wasn't already somebody who takes my food very seriously, I am now. The next step I am taking in my new relationship food is prayer. Now many of you who know me probably just took a double take. When I was in Florida, Kenny's Mom and Dad prayed at every meal. At first I laughed because Kenny's dad said the thing so fast that it had no meaning. But after 6 days of it, I came to appreciate it as a ritual. I'm not interested religious propaganda, but I'm interested in the ritual of taking time to acknowledge one's food and to have gratitude in one's life. I'm not doing cause I'm afraid of hell like most Christians or to be righteous. My motivation is pure gratitude to the cow that gave it's life, the farmer that stuck the zapper up its butt to kill it, to the Mexican that uprooted my potatoes, to Simon the checker at Safeway, to my mom, dad, and grandparents who taught me how to cook.

I offer this prayer, because it sounds cool (in latin):
Benedic, Domine, nos et haec tua dona quae de tua largitate summus sumpturi. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

(Bless us o Lord for these thine gifts we are about to recieve and the bounty of Christ our Lord, Amen.)

My mom told me it also changes the molecular structure of your food. She says that praying over water also does and there is some visual evidence of that happening. Here is a link to a website that gives evidence of that.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I love this post Rian. You always make me laugh. Would you mind if I shared it on my FB wall? Let me know.. :)

    ReplyDelete